Welcome!

Welcome to Blossoms Anew, formally Blooming in NYC! I recently relocated to a new city on the Eastern Seaboard, Providence, Rhode Island. Since moving, I realized that many of the same lessons that I learned in NYC have carried over here and I am continually striving to reach my personal best. Please join me as I continue to grow as a young lady, transplanted to Southern New England.

Friday, November 9, 2007

Balance: Work & Life

Lately, my co-workers and I have been discussing the difficulties of balancing our careers with our personal lives. The big lady split from her long time boyfriend because of her work commitments, and my co-teacher is concerned with the lack of time she is spending with her children. And then it's me... I leave work at a decent hour (6ish), stop at the gym, run some errands, chill at home, enjoy an evening outing a once or twice a week, and find myself in bed at a decent hour. No doubt, last year I had some time management issues, but this year I feel that I have a lot of extra down time. I even find myself taking on extra projects to keep myself busy.

Perhaps it's the new "F*ck it!* mindset-- if it gets done, it gets done and if it doesn't I'll have tomorrow. I just know I'm more productive and happier when I have all bases covered in my personal and professional life. I love my job, but I also love my overall life. This leads me to think, maybe some people are in the wrong career. Some people choose their career for the wrong reasons: to make a parent happy, to show others how you feel about a certain issue, to network with people in power, etc. I believe that your career should be personally fulfilling, not constraining.

So, ask yourself, Do I have a deeply fulfilling career?

No comments: